Are You Moving Outside of Your Plan’s Coverage Area Soon?


If you have a Medicare Supplement or Medicare Advantage Plan and you are moving or intend to relocate out of state, then you need to find out if the plan’s is in your area, (which is usually out of state) then your selection of a new plan today is very important. Each state Plan can differ (in deductible’s, costs and coverage) and you may only have days to change your and/or spouses plan

If you’re enrolled in a Medicare Supplement plan (also known as Medigap) and move to another state, you may be allowed to keep the same policy. There are 10 Medigap plans available, and they’re generally standardized across the United States, so you may be able to remain with the same plan. Occasionally, if you’re moving to an area where medical care is more expensive, your health insurance company may have the right to charger higher monthly Medigap premiums, in line with how much medical care costs in your new state of residence.

If you’re enrolled in a Medicare Advantage (Medicare Part C) plan or a Medicare Part D prescription drug plan, you’re allowed to make changes to either of your plans if you permanently move outside of the Medicare Advantage or prescription drug plan’s service area.  A change in residence, such as moving to another state, could result in a beneficiary being eligible for a Special Election Period.

The factors that will affect their insurance coverage once they establish residency elsewhere. You need to notifying Social Security of their new address, changing Medigap plans if your enrolled in one you may switch to another Medicare Advantage or Medicare prescription drug plan during their Special Election Period if necessary.

You can call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY users 1-800-325-0778) and speak to one their representatives from Monday through Friday, from 7AM to 7PM. You can also visit the Social Security office nearest you and fill out a change of address form.